Friedrichsthal, a small quarter of
S., is located below the Golm hill, in the vicinity of Kamminke.
Dr. R. Kind wrote at that time: "Every afternoon, in fine weather, a considerable part of the spa visitors is goes to Friedrichsthal to have coffee there or to visit the Golm hill located nearby, from where one can enjoy a unique and magnificent view. The route to Friedrichsthal leads through the Caseburg heath land; it takes about one hour to go to Friedrichsthal on foot and half an hour by cart. In Müllers' restaurant ... with a skittle alley and a swing, people enjoy their coffee and walk from there to the Golm hill, which can be reached in about a quarter of an hour."
Until 1860, Swinemünde only had poor links to the main land. The old post route (by land) led from Swinemünde past the Golm to Kamminke, via Garz, Kutzow, Görke, Dargen, Usedom (town) and Westklüne to Karnin. A boat went from there to Anklam. In 1838 (in view of the traffic to the spa), the municipality had already proposed to build a road to Usedom town. Plans had even been drawn up, but the project got no further. When Danish troops blockaded the harbour in 1848, extremely high unemployment forced the municipality to have the above-mentioned road built as a job creation project. Certainly, other political conditions at the time also played a role in this connection. The road to Zirchow was completed by 1852. In 1860, the important section to Usedom (town) was completed.
The railway via Usedom and Ducherow to Berlin was also located near the road. People called the train "Bonzenschleuder" (bigwig catapult). There was a popular joke that a train passenger who lit a thick cigar in Berlin arrived in Swinemünde as soon as he had finished smoking. Swinemünde, which had three railway stations before the war, today has only one station in Ostswine (Wollin island) for the railway service to the east.
View of Friedrichsthal.
The border crossing
Swinemünde-Garz is open to cars, pedestrians, cyclists and
busses (the former road to Zirchow, Usedom (town),
Berlin).View of the Golm hill .
The Torfgraben represents the border